Why I'm Quitting Nigerian Books (And Why It Breaks My Heart)

 

Why I'm Quitting Nigerian Books (And Why It Breaks My Heart)

If you’d told me a few years ago that I’d be writing about why I am quitting Nigerian books, personal reasons spilling out like a confession, I would have laughed. Probably with a worn-out copy of an Adichie novel in one hand and a fresh Okri paperback in the other. I was that person — the one who would rather eat noodles for a week than skip a new release from a Nigerian author. The one who swore that “supporting local” wasn’t just a slogan but a spine-level conviction.

And yet here I am. Heartbroken. Furious. A little embarrassed. And very, very clear on the decision I never wanted to make.

This is not a boycott. It’s not a protest. It’s the quiet surrender of someone who has spent too much money on books that fell apart, wasted too many afternoons hunting titles that never existed in physical form, and lied to themselves long enough that it was going to get better. I’m quitting Nigerian books — not the stories, never the stories — but the act of buying, anticipating, and championing them the way I used to. And yes, it breaks my heart.

Let me walk you through the reasons, one painful layer at a time.

Is It Just Me, or Are Nigerian Books Now a Luxury Item?

I walked into a Lagos bookstore last month — one of the good ones, the kind that still smells like paper and ambition. There was a slim novel by a mid-list Nigerian writer I’d been eyeing online. It cost eighteen thousand naira. For context, that’s roughly what a student on a tight budget might spend on food for two weeks, transport for a month, or a decent chunk of rent in some mainland areas.

I stood there doing mental arithmetic. How many hours of work, after tax and deductions, was this single book worth to me? The answer was humiliating. And I’m one of the lucky ones with a job.

This isn’t a one-off either. If you’ve been paying attention, you already know that Nigerian book prices have drifted into absurd territory. Why books are so expensive in Nigeria isn’t a mystery to anyone who has watched the naira crumble. According to a Businessday report, the book sector started bleeding badly as paper prices jumped by over 300% because so much printing material is imported and dances to the dangerous tune of the dollar exchange rate. Suddenly the numbers on those price tags made tragic sense. It’s not that publishers are greedy — many are barely surviving — but the brutal economics now place new Nigerian books in the same spending category as a pair of sneakers or a night out.

When a book becomes a luxury purchase, something breaks in the relationship between reader and author. Reading stops being a daily habit and starts being an occasional treat. And when you have to choose between a book and transport fare, the book will lose every time.

I promised myself I wouldn’t become someone who says “Nigerian books are too expensive” as if it’s a personality trait. But look at the facts. Inflation in Nigeria hit a 28-year high not long ago, north of 34%, according to Reuters, and books, being non-essential in the brutal arithmetic of survival, got the sharp end of the stick. If you’re a student, a corps member, a fresh graduate on a starter salary, you’re not paying N15,000 for a story. You’re finding a PDF somewhere, or you’re not reading at all.

And the worst part? There’s a guilt that tags along. Every time you pass a Nigerian book you can’t afford, you feel like a traitor to the culture. I felt it. I still feel it. But guilt doesn’t pay the bills, and it certainly doesn’t reduce the price at the till.

Where Do You Even Find Nigerian Books in Nigeria?

Price is only half the heartbreak. The other half is accessibility — or the complete, infuriating lack of it. The real reasons Nigerians read less become devastatingly clear the moment you try to buy a specific title outside of Lagos’s privileged bubbles.

Let me tell you about the last time I tried to buy a specific Nigerian title. Not a global bestseller like Half of a Yellow Sun, something you can find in an airport. A quieter book, by a poet turned novelist, published by a small press in Ibadan. I checked three bookshops in Lagos. Nothing. I asked vendors in Yaba and Ikeja. Blank stares. I went online to a popular Nigerian bookseller’s website — listed as “out of stock.” I contacted the publisher directly on Instagram. They replied, very kindly, that the print run had sold out months ago and there were “no immediate plans” for a reprint.

So the book existed, people wanted it, but nobody could sell it to me. That’s not a market. That’s a cemetery of missed opportunities.

Our distribution system is a quiet tragedy. Outside of a handful of cities — Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt, maybe Enugu — a Nigerian book is as rare as a public library. The Guardian (Nigeria) ran a sobering feature on the slow death of Nigerian bookshops, noting how even iconic stores have either closed down or morphed into stationery shops that happen to stock a few dusty titles. Go to a state in the North-Central or the deep South-South and ask for a contemporary Nigerian novel that isn’t a secondary school literature text. You’ll be met with a gentle, pitying smile.

Online platforms have stepped in, of course, but they come with their own frustrations. Erratic delivery times, courier costs that sometimes exceed the price of the book itself, and the constant fear that the book will arrive with a crumpled cover because someone in logistics used your package as a seat cushion. I’ve had a book delivered with what looked like a tyre mark on it. I still read it, but every time I opened it, I felt disrespected.

Nigerians aged 18 to 35, the very demographic that should be driving a reading renaissance, are being systemically cut off from the books written for them. And let’s not romanticise the digital native argument. Yes, young people have phones. But data costs are not free, e-books are poorly marketed, and many Nigerian readers still prefer physical books, not because they’re traditional but because they’ve been burned by bad formatting and pirated copies.

So when I ask myself why I am quitting Nigerian books personal reasons start to pile up: I’m tired of hunting. I’m tired of being treated like I should be grateful just to find a book in my own country. I want a reading culture, not a scavenger hunt.

The Quality Gamble: When the Book Betrays the Story

Here’s the part that will upset some people, but I promised honesty. Not all Nigerian books are worth the trouble we go through to get them. And I’m not talking about the stories themselves — I’m talking about the object you hold in your hands.

I have bought Nigerian novels where pages began to detach from the spine before I reached chapter three. I’ve encountered typesetting so tight that reading felt like decoding a ransom note. I’ve seen cover designs that looked like a rushed Canva template — which would be fine for a blog post, but not for something that costs thousands of naira. I’ve found grammatical errors and typos so glaring in some locally published books that it was clear no professional editor had touched the manuscript.

Before you come for me: I know self-publishing has exploded everywhere, not just in Nigeria, and that many authors are doing their best with limited resources. I respect the hustle. But as a reader, I’m not a charity. When I buy a book, I’m exchanging my hard-earned money for an experience. If the product falls apart — physically or editorially — I feel cheated. Multiply that over five or six disappointments, and a psychological wall goes up. You start associating Nigerian books with a lack of pride in craft, even when that’s not universally true.

The irony is bitter because Nigeria produces world-class literary talent. Our authors win international prizes, headline global festivals, and are taught in universities abroad. Yet the local publishing ecosystem often fails to package that brilliance in a way that honours it. A manuscript that would get meticulous editing, a gorgeous cover, and a robust print run in the UK or the US is sometimes handed to a Nigerian printer who uses paper so thin you can read page 12 through page 11. Premium Times captured this frustration perfectly when they reported Nigerian publishers lamenting the soaring cost of paper and printing materials, which often forces them to cut corners just to break even.

Is this the author’s fault? Rarely. Is it the publisher’s? Sometimes, but often they’re fighting the same cost demons. So I’m left with a conclusion that stings: buying a Nigerian book today feels like a gamble, and I’m not a betting person. I want certainty that the product will last, that the prose has been polished, that the cover won’t curl within a week. When I can’t get that, why I am quitting Nigerian books personal reasons starts sounding less like a dramatic breakup and more like common sense.

The Personal Reasons I Can’t Keep Ignoring

So far, I’ve talked about the industry’s failures. But the truth is, my reasons are also deeply personal, and that’s perhaps the hardest part to admit.

First, my reading life has become a casualty of time. I’m a young professional in Nigeria, which means I spend hours in traffic, hours navigating power cuts, hours doing side hustles to keep my income above water. The mental space I once had to savour a dense literary novel has shrunk. When I finally have a quiet evening, I’m so drained that I reach for my phone instead of a book. I scroll. I watch. I numb out. It’s not something I’m proud of, but it’s the reality.

Second, the financial squeeze is real. With petrol prices, food inflation, and the general cost of staying alive in Nigeria in 2026, every expense gets scrutinized. A book that costs N15,000 or N20,000 is no longer an innocent purchase — it’s a line item that competes with data subscriptions, health emergencies, and family obligations. I started tracking my spending and realized I was parting with north of N80,000 a year on Nigerian books alone. That’s not a flex; that’s an awakening. I could redirect that money towards online courses, savings, or even just breathing room. So, for why I am quitting Nigerian books personal reasons, I’m putting my book budget on ice.

Third, the digital alternatives have gotten quietly irresistible. I’m not just talking about pirated PDFs; I’m talking about legal, affordable e-books from international platforms, discounted audiobooks, and the vast universe of public domain classics that cost nothing. A Kindle loaded with free or cheaply purchased global literature became my escape hatch. I could read a Booker Prize winner for less than the price of a Nigerian paperback, and the delivery was instant. No traffic, no out-of-stock notices, no tyre marks. It hurt my patriotism, but it soothed my reader’s soul.

I’m aware this sounds like I’m abandoning my own people. But culture shouldn’t demand financial martyrdom. If I can’t afford to feed my mind without emptying my pocket, something is systemically wrong.

What About the Brilliance of Nigerian Stories?

Let me pause to say this: Nigerian authors have given me some of the most profound reading experiences of my life. I’m not quitting the stories. I’m quitting a dysfunctional market. I will still read Nigerian literature — in digital formats, borrowed copies, or discounted second-hand finds. I will still celebrate our voices. But the model of dutifully pre-ordering every buzzy new release, the ritual of walking into a bookstore and paying full price, the blind loyalty to “buy local” — that I cannot sustain.

It breaks my heart because I know the personal cost to writers. Many of them are my friends, my former classmates, people I deeply respect. They didn’t create this mess. They’re victims of the same broken ecosystem. Yet my quitting is not an attack on them; it’s a survival mechanism. I refuse to feel guilty for making financially and emotionally sound decisions about my reading life.

I’m also not naive enough to think my individual withdrawal will spark an industry revolution. It won’t. But I hope my honesty gives permission to other readers who’ve been silently struggling. You’re not a bad Nigerian because you can’t afford Nigerian books. You’re not a cultural traitor because you’ve chosen to read more international fiction while the local industry sorts itself out. You’re a person making choices in a tough economy, and that’s okay.

The Final Page I Won’t Turn

Quitting anything you love feels like a small death. I am not dramatic enough to compare it to losing a person, but it’s a loss nonetheless. I will miss the crisp crack of a new Nigerian novel’s spine, the smell of ink from a press in Ibadan, the feeling of holding a story that was birthed in a context I understand without translation. I will miss being the kind of supporter who didn’t have to calculate before buying.

But I won’t miss the resentment that followed me after every overpriced purchase. I won’t miss the disappointment of pages falling out of a book I saved to afford. I won’t miss the hours spent searching for a title that should have been available in every major city. And I definitely won’t miss pretending that everything was fine when it clearly wasn’t.

This is not a eulogy for Nigerian literature. Our stories are too resilient for that. But it is a eulogy for a certain kind of reader — the one who believed passion could conquer economics, loyalty could fix distribution, and desire could close quality gaps. That reader is exhausted. That reader is me.

If the industry ever changes — if we find a way to make books affordable, accessible, and built to last — I’ll be first in line, cash in hand and heart wide open. Until then, I’ll be reading. Just not the way I used to. And for deeply personal reasons, that will have to be enough.

I keep coming back to one uncomfortable thought: how reading less is keeping Nigerians poor in ways that have nothing to do with a bank balance. A nation that cannot afford its own stories loses something far more expensive than money — it loses the ability to imagine a different future. I’m quitting, but I’m not ignorant of what we’re all losing together.

FAQ

Why are you quitting Nigerian books specifically?

I’m quitting the habit of buying new Nigerian physical books due to a combination of high cost, poor distribution, quality issues, and personal financial priorities. My decision is about the product and the market, not the writers or their stories.

Are Nigerian books really too expensive, or is that an excuse?

They are objectively expensive relative to average income. With inflation above 34% and paper costs soaring, a new paperback can cost between N10,000 and N20,000, which is unaffordable for many students and young professionals.

Will you stop reading Nigerian authors completely?

No. I will continue to read Nigerian literature through more affordable means — e-books, used copies, libraries where available, and legal digital platforms.

Does this mean you don’t support local publishers?

I support the idea of them, but I can no longer support the current pricing and distribution model with my wallet. I hope the industry adapts to become more reader-friendly.

What would make you buy Nigerian books again?

Lower prices, wider availability outside major cities, better production quality, and a more reliable supply chain. Basically, a system that respects the reader’s money and time.

Is this a common feeling among Nigerian readers?

Yes, though many are afraid to say it out loud. I’ve spoken to dozens of readers privately who share similar frustrations but feel guilty admitting they’ve reduced or stopped buying local books.

Previous Post Next Post